YMCA of Sandusky County
Welcome to YMCA Youth Sports. Y sports nurture the potential of our kids by emphasizing fun, skill development, sportsmanship, and teamwork in a positive environment. Children learn skills and build character while staying active, having fun, and making friends! Our programs progress with your child’s needs and abilities, from introductory to competitive.
YMCA Youth Sports Philosophy
The YMCA stresses child-oriented attitudes by keeping winning in perspective, having fun, improving physical fitness, and working with the whole child. The YMCA wants the quality of play to improve in order to meet the needs of all participants whatever their ability and skills.
The YMCA accomplishes this by training adult volunteers in clinics and workshops that the child comes first and winning comes second. The key for coaches and parents is to keep winning in perspective. Competition will happen in youth sports without any external pressures. It is important to keep competition at a level appropriate for the athlete.
The goal of the Youth Sports program is to help the child grow to his/her fullest potential in mind, body, and spirit. Activity helps the body grow; thinking advances the mind; and belief makes our spirit grow.
Youth Sports Programs
Co-ed Youth Basketball
Jr CAVS Basketball
- Itty Bitty Preschool League Ages 3-5 years (Co-ed) – the preschool league is not a CAVS sponsored program but is run as a development YMCA basketball program
- Members $30 Non-members $60
- Program Session dates – February 1st through March 26th
- Registration dates – December 1st through January 28th
The first 3 Saturdays will be practices only for each team. The remaining four Saturdays, Itty Bitty teams will have a 30 minute practice and a 30 minute game against another team all conducted on the same court.
- All participants will receive a YMCA basketball program T-shirt
- CAVS Ages 5-6 years (Co-ed) – Members $45 Non-members $75
- CAVS Ages 7-8 (Co-ed) – Member $45 Non-member $80
- Games take place Saturday mornings at the YMCA
- Practices are held one or two times per week in the evenings
- Registration fee includes a Cleveland Cavaliers youth jersey and Cleveland Cavaliers basketball game ticket. Opportunity for family and friends to purchase additional discounted tickets to same game.
- FREE Cavaliers Basketball Clinic will be held prior to the start of the season at the YMCA, date and time will be communicated.
VOLUNTEER BASKETBALL COACHES NEEDED! If interested in coaching one of our basketball teams please contact Andy Mapus Program Director firstname.lastname@example.org
For CAVS program coach’s receive CAVS coaching shirt, CAVS coaching manual, invitation to CAVS coaching clinic and access to coaching resources at cavsyouth.com
YMCA Youth Volleyball Leagues focus on teaching the values of good sportsmanship, teamwork, goal setting and skill development in a fun esteem-promoting atmosphere. Children will have the opportunity to learn the basic volleyball fundamentals such as underhand serving, setting, hitting, and digging in a non-competitive environment.
- Kindergarten-1st Grades
- 2nd-3rd Grades
- 4th-6th Grades
- Our current volleyball program has concluded please check back in 2022 for program information
- Games are played Saturday mornings
- Practice one or two evenings per week
The YMCA cheer program is open to 4th, 5th and 6th graders and will cheer for the YMCA of Sandusky County Fremont Warriors tackle football teams. You will Cheer at all home and away games and support your team. You will learn different cheers and slogans that will be used to motivate your the team and entertain the audience. You will also learn different routines that typically last 1 to 3 minutes that will include jumping, chants, and some dance
- Our current cheer program has concluded please check back in 2022 for fall program information
- Fee includes cheer uniform
- Practices are held two times per week in the evenings at the YMCA, once games begin practices will transition to once per week in addition to the game
- Participants will cheer for all home and away games
Track & Field
Track & Field – Indoor Season
This is a co-ed program for youth ages 4 – 18 years of age. A great beginner program to introduce the sport at a young age and a great program for intermediate/advanced athletes. Fremont Force Indoor Track wants you to stay in shape this winter and prepare for the outdoor track and field season.
- Program dates – January 8th – March 12th
- Registration dates – November 29th – January 12th
- Registration includes entry into Super Bowl 5K Run
- Workouts will focus on sprints, middle distances, form, technique and stretching.
Track & Field – Outdoor Season
This is a co-ed program for youth ages 3 – 14 years of age competing against other local track teams including Defiance, Ashland, Galion and other YMCA teams.
- Spring/Summer 2022 outdoor season information will be posted in January.
- Includes Fremont Force track jersey/singlet
- Our typical season starts in May and ends in July
Flag Football Spring 2022 Season
Co-ed program where athletes will learn the fundamentals of football in this league. Basic skills of running, passing and playing defense are taught in a fun atmosphere, with skill building as well.
- Grades 1st-2nd
- Grades 3rd-4th
- Games played on Saturdays
- Practices are weekly in the evenings
- Season and registration dates to be announced January 2022
Itty Bitty Sports
The main objective of this program is to teach young children ages 2-4 the fundamentals of different sports. Basketball, Football, Soccer and Baseball will be the main focus. This class will give them a head start on the proper techniques used in each sport. Parents will learn with their child so that they can work together outside of the class as well. A parent must attend each class with their child
Session 1: Tuesday Evening or Saturday Morning
Tuesday 6:00 – 6:30pm or Saturday 9:00 – 9:30am
The YMCA cross country program is open to boys and girls ages 3-14 years. We race and compete against other local school, recreation center or YMCA cross country teams in the area.
- Our current cross county program has concluded please check back in 2022 for fall program information
- Practices held during the week at Connor Park in Fremont from 5:00-6:00pm
- Home meets will be held at Walsh Park
- 8-10 races throughout the season
This is a co-ed program for youth 4-6 years old. This league is a great way to introduce your kids to baseball. Fundamentals of the game will be taught in a playful, family environment through activities and games. Kids just need to bring their own gloves.
- Practices will be held twice a week until games begin, then once a week for one hour each.
- Games will be played on Thursday evenings.
- Check back in January 2022 for upcoming season information
Youth Sports & Play
Basic Tumbling (3-7 Years)
Register now for the upcoming 2022 session. Session Dates: February 5th to March 26th 8 week session, classes on Saturdays
Cost: Members $30, Non-Member $60
Tiny Tumblers – Ages 3- 4 years 9:00 AM – 9:45 AM
Along with basic introduction to gymnastics
and equipment, the children will be focusing
on whole body exercises through running,
jumping, and play activities. Each week will
have a different emphasis including
strength, flexibility, balance, and
Beginning Tumbling and Gymnastics
Ages 5- 7 years 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM
Along with basic introduction to gymnastics
fundamentals and equipment, the children
will be focusing on whole body exercise while
developing gross motor skills. Each week new
skills will be introduced and will have a
different emphasis including strength,
flexibility, balance, and coordination.
YMCA Martial Arts Class
Martial arts is a system of learning how to use your body efficiently with the main purpose for self-defense. The Ryukyu Kempo was developed over centuries of time on the island of Okinawa. The practice of karate develops speed, balance, strength, and coordination. As you advance, self-defense techniques are added for your personal protection. The more advanced is based on Kyusho-jutsu a system of fighting passed on acupressure. Monte Adams is the lead instructor with 10 years of practice and has a rank of 3rd degree Black belt.
Register the last week of each month.
Classes start in January schedule posted soon
Classes start in January schedule posted soon
Member Fee: $30 per month
Non-Member Fee: $60 per month
Join our instructor – Larry Michaels – for four weeks of tennis lessons that cover all of the basic ground strokes, serving, overheads, volleys and scorekeeping. This is a great opportunity for adults and youth to learn a lifelong sport together. Registration is open to all age groups. This class is limited to 10 participants per session. Participants are encouraged to bring their own rackets, though there are some available to rent.
Registration: INFORMATION COMING SOON
Program meets: DATES TBD
Times: 4:00 – 5:00pm (ages 10 and under); 5:00 – 6:00pm (ages 11+)
Member Fee: $15
Non-Member Fee: $30