YMCA of Sandusky County
Proud to be a Five Star !
It’s been a long road, but with the hard-work and dedication from our childcare department, they have earned the five-star award – the top award offered – from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, Bureau of Child Care and Development, the state agency responsible for licensing and promoting high standards among Ohio’s early care and education programs.
The Child Development Center provides a high-quality early care and education program that goes above and beyond Ohio’s licensing standards. By reaching for the stars, The Child Development Center is helping the youngest children develop in a warm, nurturing environment that fosters growth and a love for learning.
Step Up To Quality is Ohio’s rating system for early care and education programs. Participants can earn a one thru five-star rating by meeting an extensive list of quality benchmarks. Experts say these benchmarks improve the growth and development potential of children. The rating system also gives parents a useful tool for selecting quality early childhood programs.
Benefits only at the Y:
Swimming on Tuesdays or Thursdays **3-5 years only
Meals and snacks provided *during specific times
Daily gross-motor skill activities
Our staff is committed to providing excellent care to your children— Going the extra step to keep all of our training up-to-date. We have licensed and degreed teachers on staff to provide a well-rounded program beneficial to your child’s development.
Toddler/ Preschool Program
Our Toddler/Preschool program offers age-appropriate activities geared to enhance 2 1/2 – 5 year old children’s development socially, emotionally, physically, and cognitively.
Room 1 is our Toddler/ Preschool room for ages 2 1/2 – 3 years.
Room 2 is our preschool room for ages 3-5 years.
Room 3 is our preschool room for ages 4 – 5 years.
For swim time (Tuesday or Thursday Mornings), an instructor is in the water and teaching the children how to swim!
Our preschool program meets Monday through Friday. Families have the option to choose from part time (1-3 days per week) or Full time (4-5 days per week). We have preschool only classes from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm Monday – Friday. With childcare before and after available for families that request this additional service.*
*Some restrictions apply
Preschool benefits include:
- Three step up rooms to engage your child, focusing on age appropriate learning activities.
- Teaching basics like alphabet, numbers, colors, name recognition, shapes and more.
- Social Skills
- Field Trips
- Helping with Separation Anxiety when moving to kindergarten.
- Ages & Stages Developmental screening tool that assesses fine & gross motor skills, communication, problem solving and personal-social
- Weekly swim lessons
- On-going assessment to evaluate each child’s progress
Our extended learning programs offer an extension of the elementary classroom. The program includes activities that are age and developmentally appropriate, with daily gross motor skill activities including swimming and time in our outdoor playground! The School-age program offers daily lesson plans taught with degreed teachers. Transportation will be provided for school-agers to and from Fremont city schools and we are open most non-school days. We offer care for 2-hour delays, school cancellations and scheduled school breaks.
Our School-Age Summer program offers all the above plus daily swimming, weekly fieldtrips and a nutritious meals and snacks.
* Some restrictions apply **Swimming days and times vary
Quick Facts About Childcare
- OPEN Monday – Friday 5 am – 5:30 pm
- Weekends 6:30 am – 7pm*
- Must have a minimum of 10 registered children to operate
- State licensed approved program
- Professionally trained staff in: First Aid, CPR, Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention, Common Childhood Illnesses
- Accepted assistance programs through Job and Family Services for SANDUSKY, SENECA, and OTTAWA
- Professional staff has over 65 years of combined experience